Google DUO Review & How To use [Full Step]By • Last Updated
Google Duo is Google’s newest video chat app. Google Duo works on both iOS and Android devices, as well as laptops.
Google DUO is a more secure way to have conversations with people you know because it requires a phone number or an email address to make a call.
What Is Google Duo?
Google Duo is a video and audio calling app. You can use it on different devices, like iOS and Android devices. The Duo is free, but Apple’s FaceTime is not free.
Duos lets you call people who are on your phone. You can encrypt the call and see your caller before answering with Knock Knock, a live video of them.
How Does Google DUO Work?
Google DUO is a Google app for video and audio calls. Use it to call people who are on your phone or have them call you with Knock Knock.
You can download Duo on phones, android tablets, and phones, as well as laptops that run Google Chrome.
It works across any device, so if you’re at home using your laptop computer, then someone else could use their smartphone to make the same call! The same goes for when they’re out of the house running errands – no one has to wait around just because they don’t have access to a home WiFi connection anymore.
Also Read: 15 Best Google Services
How Does Google Duo Make Calls?
As soon as you open up Google DUO to make a call, it will automatically look to see if the person you are calling has Google Duo installed. If not, Google DUO will provide a link for them to download and install on their device.
There is no need to use your phone’s number or any other contact information when making a Google DUO call, as the app uses an entirely different set of credentials than those found in your contacts list!
Google doesn’t explicitly mention this new app whether it offers video chat as Skype does, but there might be plans for that in future updates.
How To Set Up Google DUO?
- Download the Google Duo app for your iPhone or Android phone.
- Do you want Duo to be able to send you notifications and share your microphone and camera? Allow.
- Verify your mobile number
- Enter the verification code that you got by text message.
- The app will open.
How to use Google Duo for video calls?
When you open Duo, you’ll see a camera view with the search bar. Below that will be contacts and groups.
To start a video call, type the name of the person you want to call in the search window. Then select their name from the list and tap on ‘video call.’
The first time you call, Google will say, “Smile! Knock Knock is on”. After that, your friend will see you on their phone when you are calling.
They can’t see you while video calling, though. So whenever you video calls a friend, there is a warning that shows your face and the number of the person they are talking to.
When you get a video call from a friend, the screen will show what your friend sees. For example, it might say their name or a number and then have buttons to answer or end the call. If you are not using your phone, you may only get a notification that tells you there is a video call coming in.
When you answer a video call, you will see the screen for your video call. There are four buttons: a button to mute the other person, a button to swap what camera is in the front and back of your phone, a low-light mode button, and an end call button.
When you tap on one of these buttons, it will change what happens on your screen. For example, you can turn off their camera by tapping on the end call button or make them smaller by tapping on one of the other three buttons. All of these buttons are straightforward, with nothing complicated about them.
When you get off the phone, you will be taken back to the camera view/search bar and the ‘Create Group’ button screen.
Benefits of using Google Duo
- Google Duo is a quick and easy way to video call friends, family, or business partners in HD
- Unlike Facetime or Skype, you can switch between the front camera on your phone and the back camera with just one tap.
Why should you switch from Skype or FaceTime to Google Duo?
There are many reasons to switch from Skype or FaceTime to Google Duo.
- Google says that Duo will not need people to sign up with their email. They can sign in just by using their phone numbers. Then they can call anyone on their contact list.
- Google says that Duo has been changed so that it works better in places with limited bandwidth. The Duo will adjust the quality of the call, depending on how much bandwidth is available. For video calls, it will switch between WiFi and cellular data without dropping the call. So you can start your call at home and continue when you head out the door.
- The Knock Knock feature on Duo lets you see who is calling before you answer the phone. This can make people feel more welcome and less like they are interrupting your time.
- Duo’s been built with privacy and security in mind. Google says that all Duo calls are end-to-end encrypted. Google’s Amit Fulay said, “We wanted to build a product that would be easy for people to adopt and use securely.”
Duo’s Google’s new video chat application and has some pretty cool features that make it different from its competitors like Apple FaceTime or Skype.
For example, one of the things Google Duo offers is Knock Knock which allows you to preview your caller before answering a call – perfect for if you’re in an important meeting! Google also ensures safety by making all calls end-to-end encrypted so only the person at either end of the line can hear what each other says.